At a depth of 28 metres outside Dalarö in the Stockholm archipelago lies a large, well-preserved wreck of a clinker-built ship. The ship’s mainmast is still standing. The wreck is loaded with 20–30 barrels, most of which likely contain so-called osmond iron. Even bundles of bar iron have been found in the cargo.
The ship was probably built in the 16th century, most likely during the second half. The dating is based on the presence of both osmond and bar iron on board, as well as a preliminary dating of ceramics.
The remains are adjacent to a waterway in the Stockholm archipelago, which is already mentioned in the 14th century in Danish King Valdemar’s sailing route. Close by lies the community of Dalarö, which has played a major role in maritime trade. Dalarö is mentioned in written sources from the Middle Ages, but in 1636 the area began to grow and gain in importance.
The National Maritime Museums conducted a survey of the wreck in 2017 together with the dive charter company Dykcharter.se.