Svärdet, a shipwreck in the inlet of Landskrona. The ship was built as a merchant ship in 1625 at the shipyard in Västervik, but was almost immediately purchased by the Swedish Navy. She sailed to Stockholm where she was converted into a battleship under the direction of Henrik Hybertson, who was also the master ship builder for the Vasa ship. Svärdet (the Sword), or Nya Svärdet as she is sometimes called, was close to 40 metres long and 10 metres wide. During the conversion she was fitted with 30 guns, including eighteen 12-pounders, eight 3-pounders and 4 so-called stone cannons.
After the Sword was rebuilt, she participated in several Swedish naval campaigns. The last pitched battle that the Sword was to participate in was the Battle of Öresund in 1658. In this battle the Swedish Navy, under the command of Admiral Carl Gustaf Wrangel, faced a unified Danish-Dutch fleet. The outcome of the battle was considered a major loss for the Swedish fleet, and several Swedish ships made their way to Landskrona to seek refuge. One of them was the Sword.
On board the Sword were not only knights and seafarers but wounded and sick crew members from other ships that fought in the battle. When the Sword was about to anchor in the inlet to Landskrona, the operation was executed so poorly that the ship instead ran aground, tipped over and fell on its side. Most of the people on board were rescued by other ships, but many of the wounded and sick who were placed in the hold could not escape from the ship.
In the autumn of 2018, Bohusläns Museum conducted an investigation of the Sword’s wreck site. Archaeologists found that the wreck was almost completely overlaid by sand. Above the sand, only a few lumps of wood and corroded metal were found. However, the archaeologists noted that the wreckage underneath the sand consisted of a nearly 38-metre-long section of the bottom of the ship.